Monday, September 10, 2007

Pittsburgh


We have been to America. Again.

This time by ourselves, and in our rented car (2007 Ford Fusion. 2.3l inline 4, FWD).
I feel like I should be paying Google some money too, as their maps of this continent are brilliant, especially the directions bit. Simply stunning.

So anyway, Hello to Charles and Sally, Adrienne and Tony and the rest of the crew down in Pittsburgh.
Arriving in Pittsburgh remings me of coming down the Nauranga gorge and having the city open out in front of you. The same is true of here. I gasped as it suddenly appeared, which woke Aimee up and meant we had to go around and do it again. We really did, we took a wrong turn and instead of going to Charles' place, we were going out of the city!

I finally understand now why the football team is called the steelers. The guy was telling me as I dropped off the rental car that Pittsburgh is 'the underarm of the USA' due to it's huge steel industry. I have to say, they certainly know how to use steel too, there are bridges everywhere! there must be 6 bridges crossing the river which divides the city.
It's also very nice. Charles and Sally showed us around the university grounds which are amazing. Very green and well maintained, it must be a great place to study.

No comments: