Sunday, March 2, 2008

New photos posted

Not much has happened this week. Carmel left yesterday, but I'm sure she will be back. When we had another 10cm of snow on Friday we were worried about delays with the flights, but it stopped that evening and the airport was back on schedule Saturday morning.

The weather is supposed to be warming up, but we're not seeing it.
The amount of snow we have is still burying bikes, cars and as you can see a park bench!
The city has a $65 Million dollar budget to clear snow, and this year it's not been enough.
Every day trucks are moving snow out of the downtown core and out where there's a MASSIVE snow pile further north. I imagine it will take a few weeks of hot weather for that to all melt.

My trainer for my bike has arrived and so far I've put about 65km on it. My aim is to partake in the double century ride to Niagara called 'The Hairshirt' - info here:

The Hairshirt, a personal cycling challenge whose name comes from a medieval form of monasterial punishment and penance, in which monks wore shirts woven of very coarse horse hair, causing them to experience extreme discomfort. Founded in 1978 the Hairshirt pits the lonely rider and his/her bicycle against the road and the elements, and for this reason the organizers provide no support other than a map and encouragement.

So yeah, that's what i'm working towards. I have until June 22 to go from being a winter couch potato to a lean mean cycling machine.
Recently I picked up

Lance Armstrong's War: One Man's Battle Against Fate, Fame, Love, Death, Scandal, and a Few Other Rivals on the Road to the Tour de France

by Daniel Coyle

It was in the bargain bin at a local book store, so hopefully can provide me some motivation in my preparation.
Preparation that will be challenged somewhat by a month off in April.
For those of you who aren't aware, Aimee and I are returning to NZ on the 7th of April.

We'll be home for about 3 weeks, enough time to hug the family, smell the fresh air, see some friends and remember what home feels like. Save some of your summer for us eh?!

Anyway, as the head of this post reads, we've posted some of our recent photos in the usual place to show you it's not all work work work...
http://picasaweb.google.com/aimee.carbonell

Chris OUT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be back! :p

Miss you guys!!

-c-